From: fj55-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fj55-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Peter Andrea
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 9:37 AM
To: fj55@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FJ55] Roof Woes

I On Apr 16, 2007, at 9:00 AM, fj55-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Some years ago in my South Coast area a guy had cut away the old roof
> at the gutter edge and it was finished with buttoned down white vinyl
> like pickups used to be done.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Lint
> Laguna Niguel, Ca.

I have one of these "button-down" conversions in Oakland. I keep promising
to get some photos to the list, but something else seems to always take
priority. The PO did the work, and to my eye it looks quite nice (with the
exception of the U-Channel aluminum pieces that were added as a make-shift
gutter. The top fits well, and removes easily when it is warm out, though a
bear to replace if you wait until sundown and it shrinks in the cold. There
are 2 burly 2x4 steel rect tubes that arch across the top - one where I can
smack my head, and one just behind the passenger seat - they are nicely
integrated and painted body color. the edges where the roof used to connect
have been similarly finished. Their burliness has come in handy too - I've
carried 26 2" x 6" x 16' redwood desk planks with no troubles. The truck has
had drinking problems lately, so it mostly sits in my driveway, but I'm
going up to Mudraks this Saturday for a carb swap, so I'm hoping she will be
well and street legal again soon.
I'll try and remember to shoot some pics while Gary does the challenging
stuff. ;-)

Peter Andrea
'79 FJ55 "Leslie"